The Business Insider published a great article on what the modern resume looks like.
More importantly, what you definitely must never include in your resume.
For the full version of the article from Business Insider please click the link at the end of this story.
I have picked my favourite Top 25 to leave out from your resume
- Don’t put an “objective” on your resume. Start with a Career Summary instead.
- Leave irrelevant work experience out (jobs more than 15 years ago and jobs not in your recent and current function and industry).
- Don’t put your hobbies on your resume.
- Don’t lie – but OK to leave out irrelevant experiences and information.
- Putting your age on your resume could be a hindrance (read: age discrimination)
- Don’t disclose upcoming vacations on a resume.
- Remove inconsistent formatting. Use the traditional bullet point (black dot) throughout.
- Don’t use I, me, or write about yourself as a third person (your name, he, she).
- Refrain from using the present tense to talk about a past job.
- Don’t use a less-than-professional email address.
- You don’t need to write P H O N E before showing your mobile/cell number.
- And the same for the email; do not write E M A I L in front of your email address.
- Your resume is not the place for headers, footers, tables, images, or charts.
- Don’t include your boss’ name on your resume.
- Leave out company-specific jargon and other buzzwords.
- Social media links not related to the targeted position should be kept off your resume.
- You don’t need to show more than 15 years of detailed work experience. Showing experience beyond 15 years use a header Earlier Employments and write company name, title but no work period.
- The resume is not the place to disclose salary information.
- Don’t use an old-fashioned font like Times New Roman. Terrible.
- Don’t reveal your reasons for leaving your company.
- You don’t need to include an explanation of why you want the job.
- Keep photos of yourself off your resume. Yes, yes.
- The resume is the place for facts, not opinions.
- Don’t include short-term employment.
- Delete your laundry list of daily tasks and do not copy/paste your job description.
In case you missed these other incredible resume tips
- What 10 things in your resume upset recruiters
- Do not include your photograph in the resume; seriously
- Recruiters use 7.4 seconds to check your resume
- Difference between a CV and a resume
- Worst-performing resumes
- Don’t use these words in the job interview
- Have you ever heard about NPAworldwide – you should
The Business Insider article
The Business Insider published a great article on what the modern resume looks like. Click to read the full article: Read